Things to Look for When Touring a New Apartment
Whether you need a change of scenery or are looking for the perfect new apartment to call home, it’s important to carefully consider your options before moving. Sometimes you only get a few minutes to tour apartments for rent in Dallas, so it helps to know what you’re looking for before going in. Here are the top things to keep an eye on during your next apartment tour.
- Are public entrances to the community secured?
- Do the doors and windows lock securely?
- Are smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms installed? Do they appear to be in good working order?
- Does the kitchen feature a fire extinguisher? Is there a fire sprinkler system in the building?
Unit Amenities & Condition
- Are there adequate cable and internet connections? Will their positioning work for your living room and office setups?
- Does the kitchen have all the appliances you expect? Are they clean and functional?
- Is a washer/dryer or hookups included in the unit?
- Test the light switches. Do all the fixtures work?
- Test the faucets, showerheads, and toilets. Do they all flow smoothly? How long does it take for the water to heat up?
- Note the condition of the walls and floors. Are there any stains, moldy odors, or other evidence of water leaks?
- If there are no laundry hookups in the unit, is there a laundry facility onsite? If so, how easy is it to access? How do you pay for washer/dryer use?
- Is there a pool, hot tub, gym, dog park, tennis court, or other community amenities?
- Where do you park your car—on the street, in a free-for-all parking lot, in an assigned parking space, or in a garage? Is guest parking available?
- Is additional storage space available to rent? How much does it cost?
- Are pets allowed? If so, what are the restrictions on breeds, weight, or number of animals? What fees are involved?
- What is the length of the lease?
- What is the subletting policy?
- Are any utilities included?
- What is the trash removal and disposal process? Is recycling offered?
- Where do packages get delivered? Is there a secure storage and pickup location?
- What do maintenance services consist of? Is there an on-call team available to handle emergency maintenance requests? What about after-hour emergencies?
If you’re looking to relocate somewhere in the Dallas, Fort Worth, or Austin areas, you’ve come to the right place! Uptown Apartment Locators can help you find an apartment that meets your needs. Our knowledgeable apartment hunters explore the region’s trending and classic neighborhoods to find the perfect new apartment for you. Best of all, our apartment locating services are completely FREE. We’ll even offer a free, two-hour move or (up to) $200 as a thank you for partnering with us. Interested in learning more? Contact us at (214) 457-8252 to get started.